Define customer acquisition and lead generation
Reach new target groups through online marketing
Set up the right marketing strategy to grow your revenues and business
Use relevant KPI’s to measure your strategic growth success
1. What is B2C Lead Generation and Customer Acquisition?
- Leads differ in quality. Qualified leads define people who express interest in products / services. They are considered as SQLs (Sales Qualified Leads) when they show willingness to buy.
- Customer acquisition comprises several stages in the customer journey. Lead generation is making up a significant part of it.
- To address potential new leads, you should use various touch points in your customer journey. Be active at different stages using a good combination of different strategies.
2. Finding the right strategy to acquire new customers
2.1 Email Marketing
- Efficiency: Compared to other online marketing disciplines, email marketing has the best ROI. You can reach a large number of recipients with little effort in creating emails.
- Highly Targeted: Email campaigns can be highly targeted. Personalized E-Mails can be sent to segmented audience groups and customers’ needs can be considered in accordance.
- Optimized control options: Email marketing offers immediate and measurable results. Right after the send-out, you can evaluate the user behavior based on opening, click and conversion rates. Usually email campaigns can be measured already three days after send-out, as this period reflects average response period.
- Enormous reach: The number of email users is increasing worldwide, and so are email lists. Using an external and large-scale data base, can increase your reach and performance enormous. Consider GDPR-compliant databases when choosing a publisher for your campaigns.
- Mailchimp: Newsletter service that helps create, send, and manage newsletters.
2.2 Search engine marketing (SEM)
Search engine optimisation (SEO)
Search engine advertising (SEA)
- Increase online visibility: This medium is the best way to reach a wide online audience.
- Qualitative leads: Search engine marketing can address users based on their search intentions. By providing valuable information, you can generate qualitative leads.
- Reliable costs control and measurement of results: With SEM you keep complete control over your daily, weekly or monthly budget and the online marketing campaigns can be set up independently from each other. Cookies can be used to understand and measure the results.
- Google Search Console: Measures the search traffic of your website and provides solutions for optimization.
- Google Analytics: Tracking tool that analyzes your website traffic. gives suggestions for improvement.
2.3 Social Media Marketing
- Wide reach: Nowadays, social media is part of everyday life for many people and every generation. As a company it is important to choose the right social media channel in accordance to active users and your target audience.
- Qualified targeting: Tailored content can be shared with potential customers of your niche.
- Customer loyalty: If you use the medium correctly, you can build a familiar and personal relationship with users.
- Particularly suitable for brand awareness and customer loyalty.
2.4 Content Marketing
- Sustainability: Content marketing does focus on value and sustainability. Helpful content builds trust with the readers / listeners, which turns leads into long-term customers.
- Various distribution options: Self-created content can be shared in different forms on different channels. In addition, old content can be revisited and quickly updated to current and relevant content. For example, an old blog post can be updated and shared on the blog, in the newsletter or as an infographic on social media.
- Information hub: If you maintain your website as a source of information for the content you have created, the average session duration per user will increase. If you also work with internal and external links to high-quality sources, the method will have a positive impact on your organic search engine ranking.
3. Lessons to Improve Your Customer Acquisition Strategy
- Know your audience: Knowing your audience is fundamental for a successful marketing strategy. Based on this, you should determine the channels for your customer acquisition strategy and create campaigns that meet the needs of potential new customers.
- Set clear goals: Only with predefined goals you can include a meaningful call-to-action in your campaigns. Your CTA is extremely important in guiding people to the conversion step. Test different CTA options and find out which option is best to drive your conversion rate.
- Building engagement: As already mentioned, the customer journey consists of several steps. Before users becomes customers, they need to get to know the brand and build trust. In order to successfully accompany the customer on this way, it is important to know the problems and weaknesses and to offer solutions. Authenticity is also important as well as a consistent cross- media marketing strategy that presents the same image of your company on all channels.
- Include partnerships: Partnerships with strategic alliances open up new target groups and gain additional resources. Through so-called «co-marketing», two or more companies are running a campaign in order to benefit from each other’s brand awareness and reach.
4. Relevant KPI’s to Measure Your B2C Lead Generation Success
Cost per Lead (CPL)
Cost per lead describes a billing model in online marketing. While other payment models are based on the billing of, for example, simple clicks on an advertising banner, this approach pays for each generated lead and thus for every contact who is interested in the advertiser’s products or services.
Customer Acquisition Costs (CAC)
The cost of acquiring customers can be calculated by dividing the marketing costs associated with a particular campaign by the number of customers won from that campaign.